More People Than Ever Have Turned to Natural Deodorant and Antiperspirant
More people than ever are turning to natural personal-care products, and that includes deodorants and antiperspirants. As people adopt greener and more health-conscious lifestyles, they want to avoid putting toxic chemicals on their skin or into their bloodstream. Natural products are gentler on your skin and gentler on the environment.
These natural deodorants work as well as their artificial counterparts. You should look for natural ingredients that are known to have a smell nullifying effect. They'll keep you smelling fresh.
What Qualifies as a Natural Product?
Most deodorants that you buy in the store contain one or more of the following ingredients:
Antiperspirants usually contain aluminum salts, which are the main ingredient that prevents sweating.
By contrast, natural deodorants don't have any of these ingredients. They are made from plant-based and mineral-based natural ingredients that neutralize bad odors and keep skin smelling fresh. The natural ingredients that have been proven to keep odor at bay include:
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil
- Zinc oxide
The best all-natural deodorant brands use one, two or all three of these ingredients. They may also add others to make the product smoother or to add scent. Some people have developed rashes, scratches or other problems when using baking soda on a regular basis. If your skin tends to be sensitive, you might want to stick with formulas that don't use baking soda.
Popular Natural Deodorants
- Schmidt's Natural Deodorant for Sensitive Skin - This product is ideal for people with sensitive skin, because it has no baking soda or fragrance. It's a plant-based deodorant with a fresh, natural smell and pure ingredients. This brand is also available in several scented versions that are made with coconut oil.
- Tom's of Maine - This popular natural deodorant is now found in most grocery stores and drugstores. It comes in honeysuckle rose, fresh meadow, lemongrass, apricot and deep forest scents. It also comes in unscented versions and in a formula that includes tea tree oil.
- Crystal Mineral Deodorants - This line of deodorants uses potassium mineral salt to neutralize the smell of sweat. These come in roll-on or stick form. You can buy it unscented or in pomegranate, vanilla jasmine, lavender and white tea, and mint.
- Green Tidings Natural Deodorant - Green Tidings uses only vegan, organically-sourced ingredients to create a pure formula that includes baking powder, shea butter, coconut oil and essential oils. Green Tidings comes in unscented and lavender versions.
- Explore Naturals - This line uses a small amount of baking powder and adds arrowroot powder and shea butter to the blend. This deodorant comes in coconut and sea breeze scents as well as an unscented version. It's designed to be gentle, but the manufacturer suggests using the unscented version if you have sensitive skin.
- Arm & Hammer Essentials Solid Deodorant - Arm & Hammer is famous for their baking soda, so making a deodorant based on that ingredient was a natural step. This is available in most stores and is made from all-natural ingredients.
- Magsol Sandalwood Magnesium Deodorant - Magsol has no baking soda, making it a good choice for people with sensitive skin. It uses natural magnesium oxide, almond oil and sandalwood oil to create a natural deodorant.
Natural Antiperspirant Information
There is no "natural," aluminum-free ingredient that can stop sweating. To understand why a truly natural antiperspirant isn't possible to make, you need to know a little about sweat and why it smells.
Sweat does not have any smell. What causes the bad odors from your armpits is the fact that yeast and bacteria are feeding on your sweat. Their activity causes the smell we call "B.O." Aluminum salts block your armpits from releasing sweat. This gives the yeast and bacteria nothing to feed on.
Unfortunately, there's no natural way to block your pores from sweating. That's where deodorants come in. Deodorants can neutralize and mask odors. That way, even if you sweat, you won't stink.
When it comes to natural deodorants, you have a wide selection to choose from. Start experimenting with different brands to find the formulas that work for you. You'll be on your way to a greener, healthier lifestyle.
No information on this website should be used to start the use of dietary supplements and vitamins, natural and herbal products, homeopathic medicine and other mentioned products prior to a consultation with a physician or certified healthcare provider.